Chattahoochee Country Dances
This is a listing of dance societies and clubs, and recurring events.
- Advanced Contra Dancing - (Some) Tuesdays
- Dancing on 1st, 3rd, and 5th Tuesdays. Music is provided by a core band and all musicians are welcome to play with the band. The core band selects and starts each tune; then the other musicians chime in. All dances are open mic for established and cub callers. Atlanta Messiah Lutheran Church, 465 Clairemont Avenue (at Erie), Decatur. For those who know the basics. Call a dance or sit in with the band. 8 - 10:30 pm. $3. Info: www.contradance.org.
- Athens Folk Music & Dance Society
- Memorial Hall Ballroom, University of Georgia. Dances are 8 - 11:30 pm, beginners' lessons at 7:30 pm. www.afmds.info.
- Atlanta Cajun Zydeco Association
- $30 annual dues, members receive a $3 discount off the price of admission to all ACZA live dances. See website at www.aczadance.org. Knights of Columbus at 2620 Buford Highway, NE, Atlanta. Dance begins at 8 pm, beginners' workshops at 7 pm. Cajun food (~$3/serving) and cash bar (no BYOB) at all dances. Door prizes.
- Chattahoochee Country Dancers
- Fridays at Clarkston Community Center in Clarkston, GA . Dance from 8-11 pm with new dancers introduction at 7:30. The CCD also sponsors dances at other locations at other times. For info: Call the Atlanta Dance Hotline at 404-634-2585, or visit www.contradance.org.
- Charleston SC Folk
- 1st and 3rd Fridays of each month at North Charleston's Park Circle Felix Davis Community Center at 8 pm - Admission is $8. See www.ecmm.biz/contra.
- Chattanooga Traditional Dance Society - 2nd and 4th Saturday
- All Saints Academy, 310 East 8th Street, Chattanooga. From 8:00 pm. $5. Info: 706-937-4991 or 423-876-7359, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- English Country Dance Atlanta - Monthly, usually on the third Sunday.
- English Country Dance Atlanta, or ECD Atlanta, is a welcoming dance community dedicated to the enjoyment of English Country Dancing in a friendly, informal setting. New dancers are always welcome, and no experience is necessary to enjoy this joyous, lively dance genre set to elegant music. Each dance is taught and walked through -- come alone or bring a friend! Live music on occasion!
Meet at Life Enrichment Center at Mason Mill Park off Clairmont, just south of the North Druid Hills/Clairmont intersection. Info: Everett Lunsford at email@example.com or Barbara Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org. See our website at: www.ecdatlanta.org/
- International Folk Dance - Thursdays
- St. Matthew's Lutheran Church, 2566 Briarcliff Road, Atlanta. 8 - 10:30 pm. Info: 404-378-1254.
- QuickSilver Country Dancers - Monthly
- Quicksilver Country Dancers, Inc. is a gender-neutral country dance community that holds a monthly Sunday afternoon English Country Dance, usually on the First Sunday of each month (check calendar for actual dates). Full Information here: www.qcdancers.org/. Contact email: email@example.com.
- Royal Scottish Country Dance Society - Thursdays weekly
- Atlanta Class: Covenant Presbyterian Church 2461 Peachtree Rd, Atlanta - 7 - 9:30 pm. Contact Trish Bolton (H) 770-442-5423;
Marietta Class: First Presbyterian Church of Marietta at 189 Church Street, Marietta - 7:30 - 9:30pm. Contact Sylvia Priest at (C) 770-377-5114 or (W) 770-422-7520.
Please call the contact person prior to attending a class for the first time. Click the link to the organization's website at www.rscds-atlanta.org to see more information about events, membership, classes in other Georgia cities, etc.
- Savannah Folk Music Society
- Monthly dances at the Frank Murray Center on Whitmarsh Island, Savannah, Georgia. See www.savannahfolk.org.
- Zydeco Dancing - Tuesdays
- Klassics Nightclub, Atlanta Highway, Athens. Free. Beginners welcome. 7:30 - 9 pm. Info: 706-613-8287.